Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Its a bird. No, it's a plane. No, it's a butterfly!

I have been fairly busy over the past couple of days with birthday parties and anniversaries. I was invited to our neighbour's son's 3rd birthday over the weekend and had a momentary panic. There was no time to go into town to buy something and so I decided to make something that, theoretically, should only take an hour or so (Hah!) and could be made using what I have lying around the house. Since I have spent the last four years accumulating craft stuff, I thought there should be something a 3 year old boy would like...

Google to the rescue, and I decided to make a superhero cape. I got the instructions for the cape from here; http://www.momsrising.org/blog/how-to-make-a-superhero-cape-by-lara-from-howdoesshe/ and the logo from here; http://averseembrace.wordpress.com/2007/06/27/super-series/.

It took two nights to make up, but I think it turned out quite well. The birthday boy's name started with an 'L' so I thought it was a nice touch to customise it for him. I was told that it was good timing since he has just started taking an interest in superheroes and enjoys wearing it everywhere (always nice when you make something that someone really likes).


I have also been busy making a butterfly mobile based on the one in this blog; http://heartlandpaper.typepad.com/heartland_paper/2009/08/handmade-chandeliers-on-studio-5.html. I think the one in the blog is beautiful, but wouldn't look like much from below, so I have modified it a bit.

I am still working on it, so I'll post how I did it once it is finished. In the meantime, here is the almost finished mobile (please excuse my blurry photo, the butterflies are constantly moving and are hard to get on camera)...


It makes me think of the birds I saw this morning circling in the sky

No comments:

Post a Comment